Monday 28 December 2015

My List of Concerts in 1998

bilhete expo 98
3 Days ticket - Expo 98


Expo 98 & Silence 4!


The year 1998. My passion for concerts officially started.

Can you believe how lucky am I for my first concert (or the first that I can remember) was the one and only Van Morrison at Expo 98?? The bad news is that I don't remember the entire show, however, I can still recall the excitement that I felt. Expo 98 was the first big event in Portugal and was the one that changed everything.


Praça Sony - Expo 98
Praça Sony - Expo 98
Built for this event, the "Praça Sony" was the stage of the main concerts until the year 2006 and one of the main attractions of Expo 98. The giant screen JumboTron was a huge attraction in that time. "Praça Sony" was destroyed in 2006 by the government without a big reason for it. It was in this stage that I saw Van Morrison and Ala dos Namorados in a summer night in 98 with thousands of people.





Expo 98 Ticket
Expo 98 Ticket
Other big names that played in this mythical stage: Xutos e Pontapés, Gene, Catatonia, Foo Fighters, Garbage (I remember crying because I couldn't saw them, I was there in this day but only in the afternoon. The band claims this gigs as their best ever), Ringo Starr (first gig of a Beatle in Portugal). Some other names after Expo 98: Oasis (first gig in Portugal), Lou Reed, Morphine, Spiritualized, BB King, Caetano Veloso, Gabriel o Pensador, Madredeus.  


Silence 4 live
Silence 4 live
Silence 4 in this year became the most cool band in Portugal. They sold out every show and I had the luck to see them for 2 times, one in August in Leiria and another in September in Águeda. I changed to another school in this year and that move had a big impact on my life, I met a lot of new friends, I adopted a new group of friends and a part of them still remain close to me today. In that time, I remember that every cool kid in school knew how to play a Silence 4 song to impress the gals. I miss those times and how easy it was to be happy. For any person of my age that have spent the youth in Portugal, this band for sure had a big impact in theirs lives.